Thursday, July 03, 2008

Will you sign this birthday card?

Today somebody stopped by my work-hut and handed me a little brown paper bag. It did not contain a lemon. The bag contained a birthday card. The birthday card was for a coworker. Lots of people had signed the card, and I was asked to do the same.

Every time this happens to me I get a big lump in my liver. How will I ever think of something to write on this silly little card that can ever make up for the complete lack of interest and concern I have for this colleague? Or, if I do happen to care about this colleague, how will I ever think of something to write that can communicate this without being silly or sappy?

Some people write "Happy Birthday," or "I hope you can run again soon [after some horrible accident]," or "It's been great working with you." Blah, Blah, Blah.

I usually just write, "Way to go!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

never heard lump in my liver before. that's a new one.

3:11 PM  
Blogger current typist said...

Way to go!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually say nothing and just sign my name

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home