Friday, April 03, 2009

To the Naysayers

In Asperger's from the Inside Out, aspergian Michael John Carley writes
When something hits you like a ton of bricks as you read about [Asperger Syndrome] and you internally shout, 'That's it!' ... then you're usually on the right track.
...

But whereas I empathized with the need to save the money that a clinical diagnosis usually requires, I started to see a disturbing pattern in some self-diagnosed folks: I began to hear stronger-than-usual complaints that they were feeling doubt from the world that they could actually be on the [autism] spectrum.
...

I know that with all the doubt there was from people I love, that I needed that official diagnosis in order to withstand the pressure to shrug off my AS as nonsense.
...

And what is truly overwhelming is the flood of new information that the diagnosis brings--the new interpretations not only about yourself, but also about the people around you. This is not bad news, this is good news. Maybe the best you've ever had.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well then I would say go for it--if it were me, I'd want to know definitively.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Sounds similar (the feelings surrounding it) to the ADHD diagnosis.

Have you scheduled an appointment?

5:26 AM  
Anonymous dr perfection said...

Look honey, if you want to have Asperger's go ahead and have it.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear dr perfection, what's there to be caustic about?

4:05 AM  
Anonymous happypappy said...

Denials are usually unhelpful; explorations open new avenues.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous dr perfection said...

caustic? I guess I should have put a smiley face beside it.

Just meant to say it makes no difference if you have or don't have it. You are still the same person. Life is still the same. Nothing changes, really.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Dr. P, That's both true, and not true. Understanding how and why a person is the way he is does not change the person, but it may change the person's expectations of himself and the world, providing a new modus operandi which can potentially lead to a higher level of functioning. No?

1:26 PM  
Anonymous dr perfection said...

or it very well could work the other way. A person could think, well I am this way because someone labeled me as such and I no longer have to work to change who I am.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home