Monday, February 14, 2011

Violence in the slums

I awake at 5:35 a.m., restless. At 5:45 I give up on sleep and slip downstairs and put on some coffee. Through the deck door I muse at the sleeping city. Still there is no hint of sunrise. Suddenly I remember that I forgot to put out the trash. The truck could come any minute. Nevermind, I don't have that much trash, it can wait. I sit down with my coffee.

A bang from the front of the house is so loud that I expect to find a car wreck on my porch. Before I have time to reconsider, a computerized voice comes through a loudspeaker: "This is the Pittsburgh Police. We have a search warrant for [house# streetname]. Surrender the building!"

My first thought is there must be some mistake -- not to mention, how do I go about surrendering my house -- until I notice that the house# referenced by the loudspeaker doesn't quite match mine; it's off by 2. So actually they are after the house three feet to my left. I stand contemplating my wall as a few more bangs erupt from the other side , watching as a spectator at a soccer game to see if any bullets might venture into my kitchen.

In a moment the computerized voice, playing on repeat, is shut off. I venture to my front window. A big black windowless truck-van (all doors open, the ninjas fully deployed), a black SUV, and lots of cop cars fill the street. Cops in SWAT gear with assault rifles mill about.

I return to my breakfast, hoping that they go by the time I'm done because I aspire to leave on my bike for work without getting shot. Indeed. They are gone with the first rays of light.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Holy smokes!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous goodbadi said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Dr perfection said...

Ooh, how exciting, just like the movies

4:03 PM  
Blogger Mavis said...

Holy Crackers... do you own this "house in the Hood" or are you renting? Maybe you should think about moving...

Also...You didn't mention WHY the SWAT team was there... Do you have any idea why they were there?

Inquiring minds want to know...

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home