Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wildlife in the Pittsburgh Slums IV

This little guy has been grazing on my watermelon greens. I hope the two melons ripen before he kills the plant. I nearly knocked him out of play in a brief confrontation in the middle of the lawn in which my shovel-fighting technique proved a bit too clumsy for his superior reflexes. Here he perches on the chain link fence, trying to decide whether to dash into his hole in the neighbor's lawn or to drop down on my side for another taste of watermelon:


A lot of people think groundhogs are cute. I do not. They don't even taste that good. And their fur is thin and a bit stinky, if you've ever tried to smell it. The underside of a goundhog in summertime reminds me of my poor balding head.

Raccoons, now they are cute! I could [efficiently] bludgeon a thousand groundhogs to death without batting a single eyelash, but to so much as look sternly at one of these velvety panda puppets would make me feel as though I were pissing on the Christmas puppy, or driving a brand new sports car over a cliff, what have you. Besides, they help to clean up my neighbors garbage, which sits out on their back deck about 15 feet from my bedroom window:


These are the four little ones, the mom failed to make it into the family photo, and I'm assuming that the father is out of the picture these days. And I don't know what is the story behind the little doll-girl that appears to lie unconscious under the edge the trash can lid.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

You see more wildlife in the city than we ever see in the country. Though we did run over a possum the other night, tha-DUNK.

Have you seen the movie Over The Hedge?

5:18 AM  
Blogger Renaissance Lista said...

You write these conservative blogs and break my little liberal heart, and then you come up with a sentence like this...

"I could [efficiently] bludgeon a thousand groundhogs to death without batting a single eyelash, but to so much as look sternly at one of these velvety panda puppets would make me feel as though I were pissing on the Christmas puppy, or driving a brand new sports car over a cliff, what have you."

...and I want to give you the biggest hug in the world! Miss you tons!!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home