Thursday, August 05, 2010

Recovery Part II

At Construction Junction, a sort of gift-and-thrift for carpenters, I found a short piece of curiously thin-walled 6-inch pipe with factory print on the side that said "PVC Sewer Pipe." Of course it had no price tag. I took it up to the counter and asked the guy how much it costs. The guy though for a moment and said seventy five cents. Had that pipe been more than 2 inches shorter I would have had to pay about $40 for a 10-foot section of PVC, the smallest unit anyone sells around here.

A couple blocks further down the road I found an old-fashioned plumbing supply store where you go up to the counter, place your order, and the guy goes back and gets what you need, which in this case was a couple of Fernco rubber joiners with stainless steel screw-tightening straps.

I used a $30 "angle grinder" with a couple of 1/16-inch masonry blades to make a somewhat clean cut around the sewer pipe where it had broken.



I tightened the last metal strap and turned on the water at a sink in the house. Then I sat looking at my creation, hearing the water run through it and feeling grand.



A while later the plumber who I had been talking with as a backup option called. I told him it was finished and I felt bad. But he's not cheap. In fact I think he needs more competition. Anyone need their sewer fixed?

6 Comments:

Anonymous dr perfection said...

Send the plumber something nice. It will make you feel better.

3:19 PM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

dr p, i agree. I wonder what to send him. Some cookies? Flowers?

6:32 PM  
Anonymous dr perfection said...

cookies. or a pumpkin pie maybe. but then not all people like pumpkin pie.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about a groundhog quiche (for the plumber)?

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should send him a groundhog quiche.

kbs

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're truly astounded that not just ONE person but TWO would hit on a groundhog quiche as the perfect gift for your plumber, I have to burst that little bubble of awe. The truly anonymous Anonymous is the very same Anonymous-kbs (who still thinks the quiche is a good idea!)

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home