Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Three Dreams

I am back in my hometown as a composite of my child-self and my current-self. I walk into some kind of tiny restaurant. I sit in the corner. The room is hot. A man comes and asks me if he can get me something. I say Yes, preferably something cold, like a frozen fruit salad. Presently he produces a frozen fruit salad, along with some kind of special for the day. The only other people in the room are two men at a nearby table. They are discussing the recent news, and trying to decide the shape and content of a news story for some paper that they presumably work for. They say that the days of the Federal Reserve are over, that the financial sector needs such huge restructuring that the central bank will need to be replaced.

Later I am out on the streets in my WV hometown, several miles from my parents place. I am trying to get home, looking for buses, walking around, etc. Not much success. But from over the hills, or in my mind, I can hear my mother playing the piano and singing beautifully. She is young and energetic. I also hear her berating me for doing something wrong, but not without some love in her voice.

I am at my lofty place of employment, exploring the building. The main foyer/lobby area is several stories high, with staircases leading all the way to the top. I find myself near the top. Why have I never come up this far before? I look over the railing, the floor is far far below. I get dizzy with the height. I turn to walk up the last flight of stairs, proceeding carefully, pulling myself along the railing with all my strength and terrified that I will fall. As I approach the top, the trail ends and I am looking at an old balcony, built, perhaps, in 1913, overlooking the city. The balcony's blue-painted wooden flooring is clearly rotting out. The railings are partly missing. Birds fly by, the sky is blue.

One known side effect of taking drugs is an increase in vivid dreaming.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Yep, the dreams were a trip.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what it means.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaagh! You made this up! Everything's too "perfect" (she chided, with love in her voice).

Just wait till you hear "Ha ha ha, ho ho ho, and a couple of tra-la-las."

5:41 AM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

No lies here. Not sure about the birds flying past the balcony.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home