Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Faith in the Workplace

I was recently warned that I may have to publicly discuss the role of my faith in my vocation. I find this a difficult topic to address from my position in my Lofty Place of Employment.

I'm considering something along the lines of "I'm not sure how my faith comes into play when I spend all day communing with computer programs. And in the bigger picture, my institution is a spiritual desert and I am a cog in this huge man-made machine."

A colleague waxed even more poetic: "I like to think that I am doing the Lord's work. But I wonder sometimes: are we merely the handmaidens to the money changers that Jesus cast out of the temple? The apologists for theft? Is my soul not but a windswept and dessicated plain, a void echoing with the nihilistic howl of complete emptiness?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home