Saturday, December 20, 2008

Overlappinglish

Introducing newords through a new lingo: Overlapping English. If the end of one word is the same as the beginning of the next, either in spelling or phonetics, they obviously can and should be combined to form a word that is greater than the sum of its parts, uniting two etymologies and connotation sets to produce a multisyllabic treat bursting with meaning.

You've probably already heard of "gi-normous" or "huge-mongous." These are not examples of overlappinglish because the end of the first word does not match the beginning of the second word. Here are few samples of the real thing:

Fabulous + lousy = fabulousy: having the quality of a mixed bag.

Cul-de-sac + sacriment = Cul-de-sacriment: a creed which instructs its follower to turn completely around.

Crock pot + pot head = Crock pot head: a druggie who eats or cooks primarily from a crock pot.

6 Comments:

Blogger ZoĆ« said...

this made me laugh!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Oh goodness---these are fantastic! Keep them coming, please!

-JJ

3:20 AM  
Blogger KTdid said...

Did YOU create "overlappinglish"?
This really fantastickled me!!
(I'm taking liberties with the "language" already)
kbs

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to rain on your parade but overlapping and English don't actually overlap.

5:33 PM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

Well excuse me, Mr. Smartaleck, but overlapping and English do infact overlap sufficiently, as the requirement stated above is that they must overlap "either in spelling or phonetics." I don't know about you, but I pronounce my English as Inglish.

6:00 PM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

OK, maybe I should say "pronouciation" instead of "phonetics."

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home