Monday, March 07, 2011

For health and strength ...

My conversion experience was not dramatic. There were no visions or claps of thunder. What's more, the conversion was not much of a conversion. I've always been at least moderately health-conscious. But I some point I decided it would be cool, at least a brief time in my life, to have the six-pack of an underwear model.

Not eating was the hardest part. We'll see if I can keep it off:
Update: [Brutal honesty is a balm that brings me calm because a world wrapped in delicate pretense is sure to have sharp edges when it shatters.] As one brutally honest friend has pointed out, my weight appears to be trending upwards near the end. Maybe so, but this is just to clarify my goals: The green line is my target weight, and the red dashed-line is a unofficial boundary that I'll try not to go below. As long as I return below my target weight at least a couple days in a row every couple of weeks, I define this as success.

Not eating is good for you for lots of reasons. But one reason, which you don't hear the health profession squawking about very often, is that not eating is the one thing that science strongly suggests may extend your lifespan substantially, like an extra 15 years. The president of the Calorie Restriction Society gives charming discussion of not eating here.

As much as I'd like to live forever, I'm not going to let myself go below 175lbs. I don't want people to think I look sick, and I'm not sure that it would make me a happier person. As claimed by one researcher,
"Usually when you work with mice you can pet them ... But any mouse on a restricted diet would try to jump out of the cage and bite you."
The other part of becoming Hercules is gaining some muscle. To that end I began a push up regimen.
The plot shows that I haven't been doing many push ups lately. That's because my shoulder was starting to hurt. Maybe doing nearly 12,000 push ups in 70 days can lead to tendinitis. Even worse, despite all those push ups I did not manage to even break my own record for most consecutive push ups.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Jo said...

Was the grocery money saved enough to buy you a new wardrobe, Mr. Skinny-minny?

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Mountaineer said...

Great post! I suspect it's better to stick with a moderate number of daily push-ups.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home