Thursday, April 14, 2011

Folder names: Dimensions of my life

On my computer I have all my files stuck in folders and sub-folders. I've designed this hierarchy of folders in a way that I hope will let me locate the files I need quickly and logically, but I'm never quite satisfied with it.

What is the most sensible way to slice my life? Suppose I have separate folders for House, Personal, Work, and School. I could make another folder for Finance, in which I put everything related to finance, such as tax records, house expense records, investments, insurance expenses ... or I could could include a Finance subfolder within each of the House, Personal, Work, and School, since they each have a financial aspect.

There are endless overlaps and opportunities for confusion in splitting my life into folders. There are lots of topics in my life: Taxes, Health, Wealth, Friends, Family, Travel, Consulting, Classes, Life eras (pre-College, College, post-College, Gradschool1, Gradschool2), Introspection, Jobsearch/Resume, Investments, Insurance, Car, House, Deck, Applications, Forms, Photos, Music, Research, Garden, Renting ...

Here are a few ways to slice life into four things at the highest level of a folder hierarchy:
  • School, Work, Social, Business
  • Career, Home, Activities, Art
  • Personal, Social, Career, Government
  • Health, Wealth, Mind, Paperwork
It is so hard. Life does not want to be sliced. I expect this issue is only going to grow. As digital media improves our desktops will increasingly become part of our minds, a sort of mirror and companion piece of our identities.

6 Comments:

Anonymous dr perfection said...

Do you keep a paper file of any kind?

8:42 AM  
Blogger Renaissance Lista said...

Like, like this post.

8:54 AM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

yeah, i have some paper files

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered listing the same document in multiple folders using shortcuts?

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the age-old question--how to do files?!!
Maybe use a cross-file index?

ks

10:48 AM  
Blogger My Freakwentness said...

seems like some kind of cross-referencing or short-cut systems have potential ... it seems like there should be some free desktop application that facilitates this.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home